Tuesday, November 27, 2012

How to Deal With Writing Criticism

Media_httpmenwithpens_dhjxa

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. – Winston Churchill

Dealing with criticism is one of the most important skills you have to develop to be successful in writing – and in life.

I used to get really hurt and instantly defend myself if I received any type of hateful email. And in the beginning of my podcasting days, these weren’t uncommon.

I remember being crushed every single time I read one. I had put so much thought, heart and research into what I was doing, and yet here I was enraging people.

Looking back now I feel those people had a point, even though they could have conveyed their messages a little more nicely. I’ve found it’s better, both personally and career-wise, to take criticism in before dismissing it or feeling sorry for yourself.

I wish it hadn’t taken me years to learn, but I finally developed a few ways of turning criticism – even really harsh criticism – to your advantage.

Posted via email from Create | Inspire - DM2 Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment