Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Look at Stencil Typography

Media_httpcdndesignmo_adeav

You should be paying attention to stencil.

First, I recommend you throw away the image of ugly fonts sprayed onto industrial shipping crates and used for all sorts of army themed media. The stencil style is making a return, coming to its own style, and the results are fantastic.

Stencils are typefaces with slits in their strokes that make them appear as though they’ve been cut. There’s been a sort of surge in available stencil fonts within the past several years that show an interest in the style, beyond the faux-military aesthetic. And I’ll admit that I’ve been stuck in this rut of thinking as well. But after searching around, I’ve learned a lot of things about stencils and their strengths, and I think they’re valuable and deserve your wonderful attention. Let’s go through some notable ones!

Posted via email from Create | Inspire - DM2 Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment