Thursday, August 11, 2011

Is the PC really dying?

Media_httpcdntechicom_ugiyh

When Mark Dean, CTO of IBM Middle East and Africa, declared this morning that we are in the “Post-PC Era”, a tinge of frustration and anger popped up in me. Items that are used daily in millions of households across the world don’t simply die. I was annoyed when IBM CEO Lou Gerstner declared that “The PC is dead” in 1999. I was annoyed when they made the same claim in 2005 when they sold their personal computing division to Lenova. I was annoyed this morning when I read it again.

Then, I realized something: they may be right this time.

The younger generations Y and Z – 10-30 years old or whatever those boundaries may be – do not use PCs in general. Some have them for gaming, an industry that demands more power than most laptops can offer. Most simply don’t. The have laptops. They have smartphones. They have tablets. Their technological world is growing, but the devices are getting smaller.

Posted via email from Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment